Sunday, 28 July 2013

Sundays Flower

When I first joined The Flower Bed group, I knew that I would have to post something now and again.
Although I've known how to crochet for a long time, I've only ever done granny squares and I vaguely remember attempting to make a blanket of fillet crochet.
So I feel like a complete novice, especially when I see the most beautiful work that is posted by all you ladies. I certainly suffer from crochet envy when I admire the posts.
Wondering what I could post seemed a bit of a problem, I don't have the confidence to design anything myself and I felt that most flowers had been done at some point.

Then a supplement with some patterns in came with my monthly crochet magazine "Simply Crochet."
There is a shawl on the front made up of some flower motifs and although I wasn't keen on the colours, I had just the yarn to give a flower a go.

A few months go I joined a mini skein club, run by "The Natural Dye Studio" and this was my first months posting from them.

The pattern was easy and I was pleased with how it turned out.
This was how it looked before I blocked it, which was something I had never done before. The yarn is 4ply and I used a 3.00mm hook. Some of the stitches seemed slightly baggy and I wonder whether a smaller hook should of been used.
This is how it looked after blocking.
It seems that wraps and shawl seem to be a big accessory this year.having already made one and am halfway through a second for my niece, I think with the right colours I might like one myself.

Any advice or suggestions on the baggy stitches would be greatly received to this newbie crocheter.
Sally :)






10 comments:

  1. Pretty motif! I'm no expert but sometimes I find that my stitches are too baggy if: I'm crocheting too loose or my hook is too big and I need to go down in size. Even though a certain size is recommended for a yarn if I am looking for a certain effect/feel in my stitches I will change the hook size up for looser and down for tighter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, maybe I should get an odd ball of 4ply and play around with different hook sizes and see what looks best.

      Sally x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful colors for that flower, well done.
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm wondering if a Wrap in just those 2 colours would look ok, or will it need more.
      The flower itself didn't take long, so maybe I should just go for it.

      Sally x'

      Delete
  3. Hmmmmm! I realllly like that! Bravo to you for trying this out! You did a great job. No advice from me on baggy stitches...unless your tension on the yarn may have needed an adjustment? Annette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annette, for your lovely comments :)

      Sally x

      Delete
  4. Hi lovely lacy look to the flower...but if you want it firmer and closer then yes a smaller hook would do the trick or double the yarn(2 strands of the 4ply) and a 4 mm hook
    Hope that helps
    Sue x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sue, the doubling of the 4ply sounds like a plan. I think I just need to take one motif and play with it, using different hooks and different yarns.
    If I used a 4.00mm for two strands of 4ply, what size hook would you recommend for one strand of DK ?

    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One strand of DK I use a 4mm hook two strand sof DK I use a 6 mm hook

      Delete

The flower Bed is now open again all comments are moderated so spam WILL NOT GET THROUGH so please stop wasting my time.
Thanks to all genuine members for your support